About Sunset Cooperative Nursery School
Sunset Cooperative Nursery School is structured on half-day sessions, five days a week. An extended care (8am-9am & 4pm-5pm) and lunch program (12pm-1pm) are available on a limited basis. The maximum number of children in each session is 34, and the usual adult to child ratio is 1:4. The fall semester is roughly September to December and the spring is January to June. Summer school is available on a limited basis.
Tuition is $3,200 for the regular school year, breaking down to $320 a month for ten months. A deposit of one month’s tuition is required at registration, and will be returned when your child leaves the school if all obligations have been met. Tuition and all fees are subject to change.
||9am – 12pm, M-F
||$3,200/school year or $320/mo for 10 months
||1pm – 4pm, M-F
||$3,200/school year or $320/mo for 10 months
Additional fees: Approximately $130.00 a year for insurance, earthquake kit, etc.
Deposit (upon registration only): $320.00
PARENT / GUARDIAN OBLIGATIONS
- Workday (1 day per week): A family member must participate in an assigned workday each week. The family provides a healthy snack approximately once every six weeks.
- Evening Meetings (2 per month): There is mandatory Parent Education meeting once a month and a mandatory monthly Business Meeting.
- Committees: The operation of the school is divided among four committees: Housekeeping, Fundraising, Operations and Maintenance. All families sign up for a job with one of these committees. This job may consist of weekly/monthly duties, or it may revolve around one particular event.
- Fundraising: There are fundraising events throughout the school year. Each family is required to raise a minimum of $400 per school year, which can be achieved by participating in these fundraisers and/or through purchasing ‘scrip’. Those families with two children must raise $550.
We’ve finished with our 2012 Open Houses. We are sorry to report that if you did not attend an Open House in the Fall of 2012, you will not be able to apply for admission for Fall 2013. If you are still interested in admission for your child for Fall 2014, please check this website in August 2013—We recommend you check the website every week so you can register for an Open House as soon as the dates are posted.
Sunset Cooperative Nursery School is open to all children between the ages of two and five and they need not be toilet trained. Your child must be eligible for enrollment in the following school year (2012-2013) in order to begin the application process. Here are the steps:
- Attend an Open House. We will be having Open Houses in the Fall, please check out the dates and sign up below. Our Open Houses are opportunities for you to learn more about our play-based school, meet a teacher and other parents. The Open Houses will last approximately two hours. Once you have attended an Open House, you will have the chance to sign up for a tour to visit Sunset during the day while school is in session.
We’ve finished with our 2012 Open Houses. Please check back in late January for future dates.
- Take a tour: On the tour, you will experience a day in the life of a Sunset student and have an opportunity to get to meet all of the teachers and questions to your heart’s desire. Please note that you must attend an Open House before signing up for a tour.
- Application Form & Non-Refundable Fee: If you would like to continue the application process after having toured the school, return a cover letter explaining your interest in our school, a photo of your family, and completed application form along with the $30 non-refundable processing fee by February 10, 2013. (We highly recommend getting your application shortly after you have toured the school.) The non-refundable fee is used to defray the cost of processing the application. The fee is required in order to continue the application process. Notes: The fee is not an indication of acceptance. We will accept applications on a rolling basis so we will commence interviews as soon as we receive applications from candidates that meet our target age range for the following year. We highly recommend submitting your application your application shortly after you have toured the school.
- Keep in Touch: Let us know you are still interested as the year goes by, check-in with one of our membership chairpersons. Write a letter explaining your reasons for wanting to join a cooperative. We would love to hear from you.
- A Meeting with the Director: We will begin the “interview” process by setting up meetings with the Director, determined by position in the waiting pool and the requirements (e.g. child’s age, gender, target enrollment date) of the space that is available.
- Application Acceptance: Once all meetings have been completed, we will contact applicants to discuss membership.
Applications are recorded as they are received. The waiting pool is defined by several factors: date of receipt of application, age, gender and presence of siblings and/or returning families and AM or PM availability.
Thank you so much for your interest in Sunset Cooperative Nursery School. Please email (do not call the school) to insure your message reaches the membership team: